Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Ode to Public School

For those of you who know me, you know I am passionate about public school. I grew up in an inner city public school system and truly believe I am a better person because of it. The combination of a strong christian faith/background and a non-christian school has made me who I am today. And I have an amazing appreciation for loving and giving others of all kinds because of it. While I was a student, I didn't realize how missional my parents lived while we were at Irving High, but looking back now, they were amazing. Particularly with my track team. Coming to every game or sitting at the meets all day to be able to cheer for every athlete, encouraging my teammates and friends to be in our home regularly, even having my friends live in our home often, buying food for the track girls, buying shoes for the track girls, helping buy uniforms for the girls. Carting friends of all demographics/backgrounds to church and standing up for them when comments were made (I hate to admit it, but comments were made - which is why the church is imperfect). They shone a light in some of my friends lives that those girls couldn't have seen anywhere else, and were "mom and dad" to several of those girls who didn't have families otherwise. I can only hope that I can be a glimpse to my children's friends/teammates in an inner city school or sports team that my parents were to mine.




Now don't get me wrong, Grant had a great experience in private school and has made life long friends through that experience, but I just have a heart and passion for the large public school scene.

So naturally, when we wanted to get involved in a church, part of what led me to love Park Church is their passion and service to the public schools in our neighborhood, particularly North High School. For the last year, Grant and I have served North in any way we can through the church. Cookies for teacher appreciation, fundraiser events, giving money or time, and especially by serving monthly at Young Life North. Once a month, we make dinner for the Young Life Kids and serve it on Monday night. We go early and Grant plays basketball with the boys while I get the food ready. We stay and set up/tear down for the games and meeting time, and we participate with the kids in any way we can. It has been so fun. I have constant flashbacks of my own time at youth group in the "Crooked I". Good ole days at Plymouth Park and FCA. Spam toss, water balloon fights, passing oreos from mouth to mouth - ALL OF THESE GAMES ARE STILL PLAYED! I will say, I am getting old, because the thought of participating in these games grosses me out now! But I used to love them and the high school kids now do as well!

Last week was our last week to serve for the school year. We had Young Life outside since the weather was so great. Pizza and soda picnic, then lots of outdoor games. I finally snapped some pics of the kids playing games.




I am so blessed to have been a part of a public school and particularly being a part of that volleyball and track team. It taught me alot. And I can't imagine my life without it. Who would I be without days of "booty dancing" on the bus after meets? Watching "Love and Basketball" over and over? Meme practicing cornrows on my hair? Being a part of a big, booming UIL sports system and all the competition that entailed? I wouldn't have changed a minute of it.

Thanks mom and dad for sending me to IHS. Thanks for loving on my teammates and teaching me how to live, love and serve. Here's to Young Life North and public school!

1 comment:

  1. Remember our lucky piece of gum during at least one of our Sam Houston basketball games? Ewww!

    ReplyDelete